Chop Wood Carry Water Plant Seeds is a blog about Self-Sufficient Homesteading. How can we live by creating a sustainable bio-diverse world, instead of by consuming and destroying the only one we have? What kind of teaching have you got if you exclude nature?

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Digging Greenhouse

Even though the soil is still frozen I was able to dig the greenhouse soil thanks to my wife. She realised that the soil in the greenhouse is very likely defrosted. And she was right, it was. The greenhouse temperature was 28'C (outdoor 1'C).
I removed a huge amount of Nettle roots from this part. I dislike open soil and digging but it is necessery to do so for the first time. I will soon place newspapper on top of this soil and then a 10-15 cm layer of compost soil . Once the Tomatoes and Cucumbers are planted I will cover the soil with a not that thick layer of hay and some dry leaves. This will help keep the soil moist and will provide food for the billions of bacteria, fungi, eatrhworms, nematodes, protozoa, algae, beetles and various mites and larvae. Healthy Soil Food Web is the result.

My wife had another great idea and that is to place the cold frame with windows on top onto the kitchen garden area which needs heavy weeding. The window will help raise the temperature in the frame which will defrost the soil under it. Like this I can start weeding the soil without waiting for the Spring weather to kick in. Two square meter a day if the day is sunny that is. This morning it was sunny but as I write this it has begun to snow again :(

No comments:

Post a Comment